[Tutor] list.index() question

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Tue Dec 9 01:29:54 CET 2008

On 09/12/2008, Damon Timm <damontimm at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Basically: how do I make it match *.flac ?  I couldn't find anything
>  on google (searching for "python index" just gets me a lot of indexes
>  of python docs - wink)

Hi Damon,

The fnmatch module will help here.  It basically implements unix-style
filename patterns.  For example:

import os
import fnmatch

files = os.listdir('.')
flac_files = fnmatch(files, '*.flac')

So, to test whether you have any flac files, you can just test whether
fnmatch(files, '*.flac') is empty.

If you wanted to roll your own solution (the fnmatch module is a bit
obscure, I think), you could do something with os.path.splitext:

files = os.listdir('.')
extensions = [os.path.splitext(f)[1] for f in files]
if '.flac' in extensions:
  print 'FLAC files found!'

HTH!

--