[Tutor] Having Issues with CMD and the 'python' command

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Dec 15 14:13:11 CET 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 at 23:01, James Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Lamonte Harris <pyth0nc0d3r at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Every time I start cmd on windows it requires me to "set
>> path=%path%;C:\python26" why? I'm getting annoyed...
>
> "cmd" has _nothing_ to do with Python.

(Top posting corrected.)

But the answer is that you need to update your PATH string at the system
level.  You do that in Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment variables
(it's a button on the advanced screen, which is something that confused
me the first time I went looking for it).

ObPython: you know, it occurs to me that Windows follows exactly the
opposite philosophy from Python when it comes to hierarchy.  Python's
Zen is "shallow is better than deep", whereas Windows' philosophy
is "deep is better than shallow".  Every release of Windows seems
to bury the things one needs to do to administer the system deeper
and deeper inside a nested set of windows...and every time I touch
Windows I am reminded how sensible the Python Zen is :)

--RDM