[Tutor] listen in on other program's tcp connections

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:16:46 CET 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 02:55:55 -0600, W W wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM, xbmuncher <xboxmuncher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On windows XP, I'm running a program that sends TCP connections on port
>> 5039. I'v ran wireshark to determine this. I want to create a simple
>> program that listens for these connections and intercepts and then
>> turns the data transferred into a string. From there I'd obviously like
>> my program to act and manipulate those strings, but for now just
>> spitting out that intercepted TCP data is good enough.
>> I was reading up on Twisted. http://twistedmatrix.com/ Can someone get
>> me started on how to do this with twisted framework or anything else?
> I've never done anything like this specifically... but my guess is that
> it's pretty similar to creating a proxy.

In the case of proxy, I think the program have to voluntarily send the
data to the proxy[1]. I think you've got to go round your head around
wireshark. I don't know wireshark enough to know whether it is possible
for wireshark to intercept the packet and send it to an external program.

[1] or if you're on windows, you could hack the HOSTS file so data sent
by the program would instead be redirected to (i.e. localhost,
i.e. your own computer)