[Tutor] python parser

johnf jfabiani at yolo.com
Mon Dec 22 16:18:41 CET 2008

I've been in the programming business for over 20 years and I have never had a
need for a parser.  But recently I have need to convert code from one
language to a my new language python.  What a better way to learn the new
language python than a new project.  I decided it might be time to learn a
little something about parsers too.  However, I soon discovered that I was
walking into the world of compiler writers and theories of computer
scientist.  I paid for and downloaded a paper from O'Reilly books on what I
thought was going to be on 'pyparser'.  But that turned out to be mostly
theory.  And nothing about the use of pyparser.

So I ask you guys is there a link to a practical tutorial that provides hands
on information on the use of a python parser.  I'd like to see something that
demo's converting a real language to python.  When I google parsers I have
found a few simple code examples of parsing a float.  Not really much help (I
could have done that using Regex) when you want to parse 'if,then' statements
that can be recursive.

Thanks in advance.
John Fabiani