[Tutor] IDLE problems

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Dec 30 19:04:49 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Pearce Michal
<yodaalmighty2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, so I just started working with python, however I have been working with
> Java for awhile, and am fairly familiar with it. my problem with Python is
> for the IDLE editor, and it is this: the return key, or enter key not only
> moves the editor to the next line, but also executes the script.

IDLE has two kinds of windows - a shell window, which executes
commands as they are typed, and an editor window. The shell window is
handy for interactive exploration but, as you discovered, pretty
useless for creating a real program.

File / New Window will open an editor window that behaves the way you want.

Kent