[Tutor] Hello and newbie question about "self"

Patrick python-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 4 01:33:02 CET 2008

Hi Kent,

Kent Johnson wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
>> Hi guru's,
>>
>> New to the list. I bought O'Reilly's Learning Python (3rd edition for
>> 2.5) a while back. Slowly making my way through it and was pleasantly
>> surprised that Python seems easier than C. Until...I bumped into the
>> "self" thingy.
>
> This should be covered by any tutorial. 2nd edition of Learning Python
> has a section called Methods that introduces self. Also see

Yes it does but all was not clear after I finished the first part
(chapter 22 in my 3rd edition). Just read chapter 23 and things are
clearer now. Luckily the start of chapter 24 mentions that it's no big
deal if I didn't understand everything because they will dive deeper
into it explaining more.

> http://www.ibiblio.org/swaroopch/byteofpython/read/self.html
> http://hetland.org/writing/instant-hacking.html

Thanks for the links. Will read them when I have some spare cycles.

Regards,
Patrick