[Tutor] Anyone fancy giving me some tips and an expert opinion??

Damian Archer imonthejazz at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 13:42:13 CET 2008

I have written what i see as a pretty decent script to resolve this
question:

Write an improved version of the Chaos program from Chapter 1 that allows a
user to input two initial
values and the number of iterations and then prints a nicely formatted table
showing how the values
change over time. For example, if the starting values were .25 and .26 with
10 iterations, the table
might look like this:
index 0.25 0.26
----------------------------
1 0.731250 0.750360
2 0.766441 0.730547
3 0.698135 0.767707
4 0.821896 0.695499
5 0.570894 0.825942
6 0.955399 0.560671
7 0.166187 0.960644
8 0.540418 0.147447
9 0.968629 0.490255
10 0.118509 0.974630

Although it works I am sure I could have gone about this a better way, it
probably doesn't fit all the rules of best practice either. Was wondering if
anyone would mind having a look and offering a few tips??

# chaos.py
# A program to mimic the chaos theory

def main():

    print "Example of Chaos"

    # User inputs numbers to compare, z is for the index counter
    x = input("Enter a number between 1 and 0: ")
    y = input("Enter a second number between 1 and 0: ")
    z = 0

    # Prints the table borders and titles
    print '%10s %20s %20s' % ("Index", x, y)
    print "----------------------------------------------------------"
    tempx = x
    tempy = y

    # Loops calculates 'chaotic behaviour for input numbers
    for i in range(10):
        tempx = 3.9 * tempx * (1 - tempx)
        tempy = 3.9 * tempy * (1 - tempy)
        z = z + 1
        # Print chaotice results into table
        print '%10s %20s %20s' % (z, tempx, tempy)

    raw_input("Press any key to exit")

main()

Thanks!!! And thanks for all the help you've all supplied me with so far,
you guys certainly are an extremely valuable resource!!