[Tutor] Adding network play to an open source game.

Timothy Sikes trs5678 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 04:07:17 CET 2008

Hi.  First of all, I'm not an amazing programmer. But, I do have large goals, somtimes too large.  There is an open source game, konquer, (it's on the ubuntu repos.) that I would like to extend with python to include a network based game.  But, I only know how to do simple sockets....  Is this too big a project for first year programmer? (I've been programing for 3, but have taken classes only one year.)The program is like a board game. You move your fleets to different planets, one at a time.  The game is written in C++(I think).

Just as a preliminary thing, I will go through how I think it will work.  One computer in the network will be designated as the 'server' that everyone will send information to. Each turn, four pieces of data will  have to be sent to the 'server' that I can think of right now.: 1. how many fleets have left 2. from what planet 3. going to which planet 4.taking how long to get there.   From there, the server will then issue those to each player, and tell which player is next, and wait for his reply.

I don't really know how to start,  so I guess I will start here.

I appreciate your reply.