[Tutor] Various Topics from IDLE to ImageDraw Options

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 13 15:26:42 CET 2008

I'm just getting started in Python but have begun with a challenging
project. It's a 2000+ line program that provides works with a GUI for
essentially a video device. As such, it displays dialogs, still images,
push buttons, menus, and the like. It uses OOP. Ten years ago I was into
OOP with C++ and Java for several years. It's been awhile. I'm
interested in modifying the GUI interface.

I've begun with IDLE and have a few questions about it. Although, I've
been able to set breakpoints, I see no way to clear then all. Is there a
way, and is there a way to tell what line # I'm on when examining source
text? I'm not quite sure why, but when I start the Python shell via
IDLE, an Open leads me to the Python 2.4.4 folder. This is not where my
programs are. Is there some way to start in a directory closer where I
want to be?

Although I have a popular book on Python (Lucas?), I just found a short
intro to Python OOP on the web that looks like a good quick start into
the subject. <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/OOP.shtml>
Maybe there are others.

I just figured out how to draw a line on one of the still images the
program. I'm not quite sure how I did that, but it did work. Eventually,
the line effort will allow me to draw a compass over the image. In any
case, for that, I started getting acquainted with the ImageDraw class
(Object). <http://effbot.org/imagingbook/imagedraw.htm>  My question
here is are there more detailed explanations somewhere for the options?
For example, I found a rather helpful document at New Mexico Tech, which
goes into considerable detail on options for Tkinter. See page 4 of
<http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter.pdf> by John Shipman.

              "I know that this defies the law of gravity, but
               you see, I never studied law." -- Bugs Bunny

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>