[Tutor] designing POOP

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 15 01:38:30 CET 2008

"Tiger12506" <keridee at jayco.net> wrote

> Ah yes... I don't like the Model-View-Controller architecture. That
> the
> major reason why I dislike most information available on C++. This
> is a
> personal issue though. The Model-View-Controller is a very common
> thing, and
> everyone but me would be wise to use it. :-)

Now I'm curious.

MVC is one of the oldest, best established and well proven design
patterns going. It first appeared in Smalltalk in the late 1970's and
has been copied in almost every GUI and Web framework ever since.
I've used it on virtually(*) every GUI I've ever built(**) to the
extent that
I don't even think about it much anymore, therefore:

What do you dislike about it? And what do you use in its place?

(*)The only exceptions were ObjectVision, a strange graphical
Windows app builder from Borland and a weird scripting language for
the
very early X Windows toolkits(X10), which looked like csh and produced
truly ugly GUIs very quickly. And, of course, native Tcl/Tk has a
slightly
different model.

(**)Those include GUIs built in Smalltalk, Lisp, TurboPascal, Delphi,
C/C++, ObjectiveC, Java, Python (of course) and even PL/SQL

An alternative perspective is always interesting.

Alan G.