[Tutor] web.py vs webwareforpython

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Feb 21 19:30:55 CET 2008

OkaMthembo wrote:
> Thanks, Alan.
>
> Django was the first Python framework i ever considered. I had a
> perception that it was biased towards the publishing industry - then
> again, experiencewise im in no position to make the judgement.

Django comes from the newspaper industry but it is broadly useful. Take
a look at http://www.djangosites.org/ for many diverse examples.

TurboGears and Pylons are also popular and actively developed. web.py is
a newcomer that attained instant fame because it was used to rewrite
Reddit (from Lisp).

I think the differences between these are more a matter of taste than
anything else.

Webware is from an earlier generation of Python web frameworks. That
doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, but AFAIK it never caught
on the way the more recent ones have.

Kent