[Tutor] library to create venn diagrams?

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Tue Feb 26 01:18:42 CET 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, John Fouhy wrote:

> On 25/02/2008, Danny Navarro <vimes656 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  Does anyone know a Python library to generate Venn diagrams with more
> >  than 3 datasets? The area of the datasets and the intersections should
> >  be proportional to the quantity of data.
>
> I don't ...

I don't either, but...

> ... also, how would you draw in two dimensions a Venn diagram of four
> mutually-intersecting sets? I can't see how it is possible in
> general..

Although with most Venn diagrams, the enclosing shapes are generally
circles, they don't need to be the same shapes, and you can have Venn
diagrams with more than three sets.  Some examples here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

Also, a Venn diagram technically is a subset of the more general Euler
diagram.  The Venn diagram illustrates regions for all possible
combinations of intersections, e.g., for three sets ABC, A-only, B-only,
C-only, A+B only, A+C only, B+C only and A+B+C.  A Euler diagram can be
used where, for example, A intersects B but not C. More info at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_diagram

I note the External Links section on the Venn diagram lists links to
several tools to create Venn diagrams.  I don't know if any of  them are
python, but if the OP is not limited to python-only solutions, they may
help.