[Tutor] crashed with Runtime Error: NZEC (non-zero exit code)

bob gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Feb 26 22:31:42 CET 2008

Note I cc: tutor at python.org. Please do so also so the other tutors can
follow the discussion.

Andrei Petre wrote:
> the theory seems just like mine :)
>
> your way to implement it looks fine ( although it supports some
> optimization :))
>
> But:
>
> - i don't understand :
>      i = int(s)
>      where s = the test case input (= a LIST ??)
s is a string

>   you should summs up the elements of the list
In the pursuit of performance I chose int(s) as being potentially a lot
faster than looping over all the chars, applying int() to each and summing.

> - it's not very clear in your implementation what happens with the
> case : "815". try it
I get 15. However 875 gives a wrong answer! Turns out that if the
rightmost digit is not 0 I must remove a 5 even if that is the rightmost
digit!

Even after fixing that I still get "wrong answer"!

> and in one of your posts, you said:
>
> >The evidence pointed to a character in the test data other than
> 0123456789.
>
> >So I contrived a way to test for this and found that to be true. I don't
> >know what the character is or which test case it is in but there is at
> >least one bad character, and it is < chr(32) (i.e. a control character).
> >i don't understand , in your
>
> i don't really understand that. you are trying to say that the tests
> from the online judge are not "exactly good" ?
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. At least one test case has a
non-decimal character.

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239 Chapel Hill, NC