[Tutor] List Box for Web

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Wed Feb 27 07:06:27 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Dinesh B Vadhia
<dineshbvadhia at hotmail.com> wrote:
> For my web application, I need a list box with a search capability.  An
> example is the Python documentation (hit the F1 key under Windows from IDLE)
> and specifically the Index list ie. context-sensitive search through a list
> of phrases, but for use on a web page.
>
> Does anyone know if there are any open source UI widgets for such a
> capability?

On the web, such functionality goes way beyond a mere widget, as it
requires communication between the client browser and a web server.
The server side of this is straightforward. It's the client that may
be complicated in case you want to give users immediate feedback as
they type. If that is so, you'd need to use AJAX.

Anyhow, because Python does not run in browsers, you will not find a
solution to this using only Python. I suggest you study how web apps
work and start playing with Python modules and frameworks for
server-side web programming. I'd start with the cgi module to make
sure you understand the basics before progressing to more
sophisticated and "magical" frameworks.

Cheers,

Luciano