[Tutor] run in "deamon" mode?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 11 10:10:53 CET 2008

"Allen Fowler" <allen.fowler at yahoo.com> wrote

> I must say that I'm a bit surprised that the Python Std
> library does not have a module for this.

To be honest I've never used a language that does have
a special library for turning programs/processes into
daemons. The tools are in the modules and its only
a few lines of code. Most of the time you don't even need
that since if you want a long running server you can
just arrange to start it in the init files when the machine
starts up.

Also because Python is cross platform the rules for
writing daemons are quite different on Windows/VMS/Unix
etc So I'm guessing that nobody has gotten round to doing
a cross platform daemonize function - although it probably
isn't impossible!

> Are all python scripts expected to be small user-mode utilities?

Definitely not, but equally, I guess most Python programs
are not daemons either. If somebody gets a good daemon
module written and submitted I'm sure it would be considered
for inclusion, it just looks like nobody has had to scratch
that itch enough yet.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site