[Tutor] shutils.copytree

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Jan 11 15:02:19 CET 2008

Tony Cappellini wrote:
>> The source also says, "Consider this example code rather than the
>> ultimate tool" so maybe you should just copy it and make a version that
>> does what you want. See shutil.py in your Python lib directory.
>
> Yes, I did read that and was shocked. Is everything in python that
> iffy?

If by 'iffy' you mean buggy, unreliable or incomplete, I don't read it
that way. I think they are just saying, there are lots of reasonable
possibilities for what a copytree() function could do. They haven't
tried to cover all the bases. Instead they have given a reasonable
starting point, that works for some cases, and invited you to make your
own if it doesn't do what you want.

> The problem with that concept of "modifying the distribution as you
> go" is that those changes must be moved to every system where your
> program will run...

You don't have to modify shutils. I suggested that you *copy* copytree()
and modify it to do what you want. The copy would be included with the
program that needs it, not added to shutil.

Kent