[Tutor] shutils.copytree

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 11 15:08:06 CET 2008

"Tony Cappellini" <cappy2112 at gmail.com> wrote

>> The source also says, "Consider this example code rather than the
>> ultimate tool" so maybe you should just copy it and make a version
>> that
>> does what you want. See shutil.py in your Python lib directory.
>
> Yes, I did read that and was shocked. Is everything in python that
> iffy?

No, thats why thee is a comment on that bit! :-)

> The problem with that concept of "modifying the distribution as you
> go" is that those changes must be moved to every system where your
> program will run,

Correct, one big advantage of using classes.modules.
So you should create your code in a module and then it is
no different to the rest of your application.

> and whenever python is updated, you have to remember
> to save the changes before uninstalling the current version.

Its always wise to have your local code somewhere other
than in the system space IMHO. I habe Python in

C:\python25

and my projects/modules on

D:\Projects\Python

This also helps if you want to run multiple copies of Python
Just set the PYTHONPATH environment variable to point at
the projects directory.

HTH,

Alan G.