[Tutor] Suppressing output in interactive mode

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 12 01:54:45 CET 2008

"Olivier Lefevre" <lefevrol at yahoo.com> wrote

>> Then assign the return value to a variable and never use it.
>
> That feels obfuscated; definitely not an elegant solution.
> When I'm done with interactive development and save the
> substance to a script I'd have to chase these bogus
> assignments to junk variables and remove them; not a
> smooth workflow.

Why remove them? They shouldn't hurt performance
and you only need one re-used for each expression.

However I'm curious how you save your interactive sesssion
to a script? I normally only write fragments at the >>> prompt
and retype them into my script - there would be so much
tweaking needed that its just as fast I think.
(I tend to use single letter variables etc at the >>> whereas
real scripts will have longer names and comments and
spacing and more error handling etc)

How are you using the prompt?

--
Alan Gauld