[Tutor] Recieving emails in python

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Mon Jan 14 07:24:31 CET 2008

It depends.

If you're trying to write a MTA, think about looking at and stealing
parts of mailmain and smtpd.py

Mailman: http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
Smtpd:http://barry.warsaw.us/software/Code/smtpd.py

If you're going to use someone else as a MTA then just use IMAP or POP
to get the mail out, there are IMAP and POP libraries

imap: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-imaplib.html
pop: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-poplib.html

Else, if you're writing this all from scratch, whip out the RFC and
start hacking:
http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc821.txt

         --Michael

PS: What's the tutor policy on cross posting?

On 1/14/08, mobiledreamers at gmail.com <mobiledreamers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I m trying to create something simple a mailing list similar to yahoo groups
> I m stumbling at the part where the python recieves messages via say
> python at yahoogroups.com
>
>  how to make python recieve emails and process it
> after that it is straight forward processing in python inserting in db etc

Michael Langford
Phone: 404-386-0495
Consulting: http://www.RowdyLabs.com