[Tutor] Programming Ideas, need some focus

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jan 16 20:12:32 CET 2008

Michael Langford wrote:

> To run OLPC on mac, you need qemu for mac:
> http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

This gets the main page for Q, a native Mac port of qemu. I downloaded
the stable build.

> Download the latest (.img.bz2) file from:
> http://xs-dev.laptop.org/cscott/olpc/streams/ship.2/latest/devel_ext3/

olpc-redhat-stream-ship.2-build-656-20080102_1619-devel_ext3.img.bz2
or
olpc-redhat-stream-ship.2-devel_ext3.img.bz2
? I got the first

> Unzip it using bzcat (which you mac guys get via Fink if its not
> natively available or you can't unzip some other way). Unzip it to a
> file called olpc.img
>
> bzcat whatevertheycalledthe.bz2.img > olpc.img

I used BOMArchiveHelper which seems to be included with Mac OS X 10.4
and (as Archive Utility) 10.5.

> Then you run it the same way the linux people do:
> qemu -redir tcp:2211::22 -soundhw es1370 -net user -net
> nic,model=rtl8139 -hda olpc.img

This is a bit of a mystery as there is no obvious command line for Q.
 From the qemu docs I find
`-redir [tcp|udp]:host-port:[guest-host]:guest-port'
     When using the user mode network stack, redirect incoming TCP or
UDP connections to the host port host-port to the guest guest-host on
guest port guest-port.
-redir tcp:2211::22 seems to correspond most closely to enabling Remote
Login in the Network preferences though that maps port 2200 to port 22.

-soundhw es1370 I guess means to enable ENSONIQ AudioPCI ES 1370 in the
Hardware prefs.

-net user ?? can't find a setting for this

  -net nic,model=rtl8139
Set Network card to rtl8139 PCI network adapter in Hardware prefs

-hda olpc.img
Choose the downloaded disk image in Hard disk popup in Hardware pref.

Click the start button, it is booting...

OK, seems to more or less work. It's very slow on my Mac (2.33 GHz Intel
core 2 duo) and pretty buggy, though I have no way of knowing if that is
the emulator or the OLPC software. Lots of screen refresh problems. The
mouse is too sensitive, don't see a way to adjust that offhand.

Ah, looking again at the prefs I see there is a box for "QEMU Arguments"
in the Advanced panel. No time to try it now though. I guess I'm getting
pretty far off-topic too :-)

Kent