[Tutor] results not quite 100 percent yet

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:40:39 CET 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 10:13 PM, Tiger12506 <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:
> If you're looking for examples - I like the zork games...
>
> http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/download.html

I've already looked at the Infocom site and didn't find
anything that helped me understand Text Adventure
Games like  Hartnell's book does. BASIC is easy to
read, and with the book's explanations, I'm learning
how to program a TAG in Python. My goal is to code
the game in POOP when I understand enough game
elements to design classes for the various objects in
the game, like rooms, treasure, monsters, and so
forth. Bob Gailer recently sent a POOP example
that does a setup of the environment. His Room class
gave me an idea of how it is done. POOP has been
somewhat difficult for me to grasp. At first, it was all
the new vocabulary. Then connecting the vocabulary
to concepts. Most tutorials revolve around the mechanics
of POOP, but don't really get into how to think about
POOP from a design point of view. I'm pretty sure that
once I "get it", I'll wonder why it took me so long... at
least that's how it's been in the past when I've tried to
learn a new concept. So I study it until I hit a block, then
go do something else for awhile. Then I study it some
more. Hartnell's book doesn't get into POOP because
it was written in c.1983 line-numbered BASIC. However,
he has a much better grasp of c.1983 TAGs than I do.
I fixed enough typos in two of the games in the book
to get them running in a GWBASIC interpreter on an
old 286 DOS computer. I can play the game on the 286,
read the code, and read the book. Then I try to do
something similar in Python.

The Infocom games are cool, but they don't give me
the feedback like Hartnell's book and code does.

BTW, there's also "RenPy" which is an Open Source
Interactive Fiction / Visual Novel engine written in Python.
That's pretty cool, but they aren't at all like the TAGs
in Hartnell's book.

There's also a really nice Adventure game tutorial
over at Brian Wisti's site:
http://coolnamehere.com/geekery/python/ifiction/index.html