[Tutor] Where is this tr function?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Jul 4 14:19:31 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Kelie <kf9150 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see a lots tr('some string') in codes, especially the ones related to
> wxPython. Where is this tr function defined and what does it do? To make the
> argument a raw string?

tr() is not a standard part of Python. My guess is that it is a
wrapper function that helps with localization.

Raw strings are a syntactic construct, i.e. they exist only in source
code as an instruction to the parser. There is no such thing as a raw
string at runtime, so there is no function to create one.

> When I type print tr('some string') in PyShell that comes with wxPython, no
> error. But if I type that line in a .py file and run it, I get an error:
> NameError: name 'tr' is not defined

You have to find where tr() is being imported. From PyShell type
tr.__module__
that should print the name of the module containing tr().

Kent