[Tutor] Wave module

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 18:20:46 CEST 2008

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 16:50:35 -0600
From: "Alex Krycek" <agent.krycek at gmail.com>
Subject: [Tutor] Wave module
To: tutor at python.org

Hello,

I'm trying to join two .wav files with the wave module. But when I try to
use wave.open(filename, "rb") I receive the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File "F:\PortablePython1.0\lib\wave.py", line 483, in open
   return Wave_read(f)
 File "F:\PortablePython1.0\lib\wave.py", line 162, in __init__
   self.initfp(f)
 File "F:\PortablePython1.0\lib\wave.py", line 143, in initfp
   self._read_fmt_chunk(chunk)
 File "F:\PortablePython1.0\lib\wave.py", line 264, in _read_fmt_chunk
   raise Error, 'unknown format: %r' % (wFormatTag,)
wave.Error: unknown format: 85

I read somewhere that there are various wave formats, only some supported by
Python. Is this true? If so, is there any way I can convert my wave files
into a supported kind?

Thanks!

Try creating your own wave fiel and open it. It may be that the one you're
opening is corrupted.
http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/wavefiles.html

BTW Agent Krycec: what' that black, oily fluid in your eyes? ;-)