[Tutor] IPython problem: Difficulty in setting editor to TextPad

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Thu Jul 17 11:54:00 CEST 2008

Win XP, Python 2.51, IPython 0.84

In my ipy_user_conf.py I have put this line:
ipy_editors.install_editor("C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe")

I use IPython -debug to start IPython, and this is what it tells me:
'editor': '"C:\\Program Files\\TextPad 5\\textpad.exe"',

In [3]: ed versions.py
Editing... > C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
done. Executing edited code...

It seems obvious that there still is a problem with the spaces in the
path, but I don't know what to do about them.
Help, please.

Dick Moores

Have you seen the video introducing the terrific and free
IDE, Ulipad? Download it from my website.