[Tutor] IPython problem: Difficulty in setting editor to TextPad

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Thu Jul 17 17:39:49 CEST 2008

At 08:13 AM 7/17/2008, Alan Gauld wrote:
>"Dick Moores" <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote
>>In my ipy_user_conf.py I have put this line:
>>ipy_editors.install_editor("C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe")
>escape the spaces and backslashes(raw string might work as well)

Yeah, I tried that (except for the raw string).

>ipy_editors.install_editor("C:\\Program\ Files\\TextPad 5\\TextPad.exe")
>OR maybe
>ipy_editors.install_editor(r"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe")

I finally got some help from one of the main IPython guys (just now).
The line that partially works is
ipy_editors.install_editor('"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe"

But using the line number doesn't work, so I skip it and do

In [3]: ed versions.py
Editing... > "C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" versions.py(0)

This DOES open versions.py in Textpad, with the caret at line 1.

Thanks for your educated guesses, Alan.

Have you seen the video introducing the terrific
and free IDE, Ulipad? Download it from my website.