[Tutor] python environment

Eric Abrahamsen eric at ericabrahamsen.net
Fri Jul 18 12:10:40 CEST 2008

I've been looking around for a good tutorial or background info on how
the Python runtime environment works, and haven't quite found what I'm
looking for. I started fooling with having different versions of
modules available to difference processes on a single server, which
led me to virtualenv, and then I realized I'm way in over my head. I'm
sure I can make virtualenv work, but I won't understand what's
happening.

Can anyone recommend any resources along these lines? Chapter 26 in
the library reference is on Python Runtime Services – these are the
models I want to understand, but I feel like what I need is one level
_under_ these modules: I guess, how the python interpreter works as an
os process, and how its environment differs from... the other
environment?. The command line interpreter also has options like
'ignore environment variables' and 'don't imply "import site" on
initialization' – I just don't quite get it.

Thanks in advance for any and all enlightenment.

Eric