[Tutor] IPython problem: Difficulty in setting editor to TextPad

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Sat Jul 19 02:49:01 CEST 2008

At 03:41 PM 7/18/2008, arsyed wrote:

>I just set the EDITOR environment variable under windows to textpad
>and %ed works fine from ipython. It also gets used by subversion and
>other programs for commit messages, etc.
>
> >echo %EDITOR%
>"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe"

I'd already done that. However up to now I'd had an editor set for
IPython in either IPythonrc.ini or in ipy_user_conf.py. Upon reading
your reply I commented out the current line setting the editor in
ipy_user_conf.py,

ipy_editors.install_editor('"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe"
${file}(${line})')

and found that you're right!

However, I've also learned a bit more about how to use said line:

ed -n m versions.py

will open filename.py in TextPad at line m, which can be handy when
the file is big.

Dick