[Tutor] IPython problem: Difficulty in setting editor to TextPad

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Sat Jul 19 02:49:01 CEST 2008

At 03:41 PM 7/18/2008, arsyed wrote:

>I just set the EDITOR environment variable under windows to textpad
>and %ed works fine from ipython. It also gets used by subversion and
>other programs for commit messages, etc.
> >echo %EDITOR%
>"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe"

I'd already done that. However up to now I'd had an editor set for
IPython in either IPythonrc.ini or in ipy_user_conf.py. Upon reading
your reply I commented out the current line setting the editor in

ipy_editors.install_editor('"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe"

and found that you're right!

However, I've also learned a bit more about how to use said line:

ed -n m versions.py

will open filename.py in TextPad at line m, which can be handy when
the file is big.

Have you seen the video introducing the terrific
and free IDE, Ulipad? Download it from my website.