[Tutor] Advice for my function, isPrime(n), please

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Mon Jul 21 22:42:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Daniel Sarmiento wrote:

> What about the following function?
> if x == 0:
>     return False
> return True

I don't like it, myself.  You have multiple points of exit, and, yes, you
can see that the fallthough is only executed if the condition is not met,
but it makes you do a double-take when reading it.

If you insist on having the conditional, this is clearer:

if x == 0:
    return False
    return True

I'd rather have the condition test for truth, though:

if x != 0:
    return True
    return False

But that leads to what you don't like anyway, which I think is your best

return x != 0