[Tutor] Online class/education for Python?

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Sun Jul 27 07:46:07 CEST 2008

At 05:03 PM 7/26/2008, Alan Gauld wrote:

>"wesley chun" <wescpy at gmail.com> wrote
>
>>from the 2nd review for this author's "other" Python book, it could be
>>some nefarious actions from the publisher itself... no wonder it's
>>"out-of-print!"
>>
>>http://amazon.com/dp/1423901126
>
>At $88 for 500 pages it had better be good or he will be stuxck
>with academic-only sales!

It's exactly as good as the 2nd edition! See the 2nd review at that link:

Careful buying this., May 17, 2008

While I won't deny this is the best book out there to teach someone
Python, it is pretty much Word for Word the same book as Python for
the Absolute Beginner (which is by the same author). This version is
packaged as an academic book, and costs 4 times as much!
I love the author for this book, but the publisher should be shot.
Go pick up the absolute beginner version and saves yourself $60.

If it hadn't been the same book, I would happily given it 5 stars.

I can confirm this. I eagerly snatched it up when it came out, only
to find that it was just a slick repackaging of what I already owned.
Returned it the next day.

Dick