[Tutor] newbie graphing question

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 16:32:02 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Peter Petto <ppetto at apk.net> wrote:
> I'm about to try some Python programming for drawing simple geometric
> pictures (for math classes I teach) and was hoping to get some advice that
> will send me off in the best direction.
>
> I want to write programs that can draw figures with commands akin to
> point(x,y) to draw a point at coordinates (x,y), or segment (x1,y1,x2, y2)
> to draw a segment between points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2)?
>
> I'd appreciate recommendations as to the best facility or library to use to
> this end. I primarily use a Mac, but my students primarily use Windows.
>
> I'd love to hear any and all pointers or comments. Thanks!
> --
> ===
> Peter Petto <ppetto at apk.net>
> Bay Village, OH   tel: 440.249.4289

Hello Mr. Petto,

I'd recommend the PyGame library. PyGame is a Python wrapper around the
extraordinary SDL library. For an example program of what you might be looking
for, take a look at:

http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~aharris/pygame/ch05/paint.py

The whole site has a lot of Python/PyGame examples:
http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~aharris/pygame/

Andy Harris is a CS professor at Indiana University-Perdue University
Indianapolis,
and is the author of several books, including Game Programming
[ISBN-13: 978-0-470-06822-9], which is a fairly complete introduction
and tutorial
for PyGame.

Happy Programming!
--
b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
Kid on Bus: What are you gonna do today, Napoleon?