[Tutor] (no subject)

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Tue Jul 29 18:05:37 CEST 2008

Morgan Thorpe wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm am very new to the whole programming sence.

Welcome. :)

> I am trying to catch on but as soon as i want to write a program i've
> been told to use like 'notepad' in windows XP and save it as a .py file
> i have gotten this far. Am i wrong so far?

It's fine so far. Computer programs (especially ones in python) are text
files which are formatted in a specific way which can be understood and
executed by Python.

When you write your program, you use an editor like notepad and save the
program as a .py file.

You're okay this far. The next stage is to ask Python to execute this
program. You do that by typing
python program.py
and hitting enter.

> If i am right why is it that i can't run it in anyway besides it opening
> in 'notepad' i've tried opening with Python but it doesn't work.

How have you tried opening it in python? Can you show us your program?

P.S. It's a good idea to use a proper Subject line for your mail. :)

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in/