[Tutor] turbo gears

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 4 21:15:23 CEST 2008

"Sean Novak" <snovak at snovak.com> wrote
>I was curious as to what the you pythonistas thought about Turbo
>Gears.  I've been moving through a pretty good book on the subject.

If its the Prentice Hall one then I've read that too. Its OK but has a
few errors in it.

But TurboGears is well proven albeit evolving.
It has reasonable support forums etc.

> At first, I'm feeling completely naked without PHP, MySQL, and
> Apache.  I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I'm doing the
> right  thing..

Once you gwet used to it it will be more productive and
more scaleable than PHP. You can of course use MySql
with TG so no loss of skills there.

The other big favourite is Django which is a less component
focussed approach more akin to RubyOnRails. I'm only just
starting to play with it.

I have used a couple of other web frameworks and all are more
productive for big projects than vanilla CGI/PHP style scripting.
They all tend to share concepts by having a templating system
to separate HTML/presentation from application logic, a server
engine to translate URLs to function/method calls and usually
an ORM to map objects to database tables. They will generally
come with a web admin tool and some basic functionality such
as user access control functionality pre written.

If you need to do real work soon just pick any popular one and
start working with it. Once you learn one, moving to another is
no more difficult than learning a new programming language
- a matter of a couple of weeks of effort and practice.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site