[Tutor] Controlling applications

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 9 21:13:35 CEST 2008

"W W" <srilyk at gmail.com> wrote

> I'm trying to control other applications via python (specifically my
> web browser).

The webbrowser module will maybe give you a start?

> My hope is there is some way to emulate a series of keypresses.

I know how to do that in Windows but not in Linux!

> Is there a way to utilize python to perform keypresses? And does
> anyone know of a tutorial for such a thing? I'm running the most
> recently updated Ubuntu 8.04.

You need to find an API that lets you work at the X windows
protocol level. I don;t know of one but will be surprised if
there isn't such a beast around somewhere!

If you could use a text based browser like lynx it would probably
be easier since you could work at the terminal or curses level.

Sorry I can't help more,

Alan G.