[Tutor] Uniform 'for' behavior for strings and files

Shrutarshi Basu technorapture at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 23:26:38 CEST 2008

If I do the following:

for item in block:

where block is a file, then item becomes each line of the file in turn
But if block in a large string (let's say the actual text that was in
the file), item becomes each character at a time. Is there a way to
have a uniform iteration irrespective of whether block is a file or
string (ideally one \n-delimited line at a time)?
I'm writing a recursive parser, where text is looked at one line at a
time, if a block delimiter is found, the block is isolated and the
parser is recursively called on the block. I would like to start it
off on a file and then each block would be a large string, but the
default for behavior is being problematic. I could turn the whole file
into a string first, but that might cause problems with large files.
Any alternate solutions would be appreciated as well.
Thanks,
Basu

--
The ByteBaker :