[Tutor] IDE

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 10 19:21:32 CEST 2008

"Sean Novak" <snovak at snovak.com> wrote

>> like about EMACS, however, is the ability to run the current buffer
>> interactively to a python command line.  Is there a way to set this
>> up in VIM?

Yes, it's a standard vi (not even vim) feature.
The command is something like:

:!(motion) python

Where (motion) is any vi navigation/selection set
(including vims visual mode)

Thus for the full buffer:

:1,$! python

Follow with a u to undo the change!!!

Do help ! for lots more options

>> with VIM (shocking, I know).  But, as is,, I wouldn't consider it
>> an  IDE.  It's more of a really really nice text editor.  I hope I
>> don't  get flamed for that last one.  Does anyone know of a
>> documented  useful workflow using VIM and it's other UNIX
>> compatriots that feels  more like an IDE?

Just standard unix tools like grep, tags, and the filter trick above.

HTH,

Alan G