[Tutor] when is object relational mapping for Python warranted?

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Thu Jun 12 01:26:56 CEST 2008

Yes, it's worth it.  It makes it trivial to write simple database
applications.
The smaller the program, the more useful they are.

Both SQLObject and SQLAlchemy have their strengths and weaknesses.
SQLObject will get you and going up really fast.  Its really simple to
create
a schema and to start working on a project.  The most recent version is
also acquiring a revision system.

SQLAlchemy has a little more overhead, but it ultimately allows you to
perform much more sophisticated operations.  It also serves as a simpler
DBI.

My personal take is that SQLAchemy gives you much more growing
room, and that this is well worth the initial investment.  The
documentation
for SQLAlchemy tends to be better too.  (That said I work primarily with
SQLObject, and the addition of a revision system will keep me from
switching our product to SQLAlchemy for a while longer.)

- Jeff Younker - jeff at drinktomi.com -