[Tutor] WIn32 extension -= exposing methods with a windows handle

Mike Meisner mikem at blazenetme.net
Sat Jun 21 18:47:22 CEST 2008

I would like to capture information from a multi-player internet game in order to tabulate player statistics.  Specifically, I need information from a chat box within the main play window.

Using the win32 extension (win32gui module: EnumWindows, EnumChildWIndows) I can obtain a handle to the chat box.  At that point, I don't see any apparent win32 functions to expose the methods available in the chat box and, thereby, extract the chat text information I need.

So, if I have the handle to a child window, does anyone know how to enumerate the attributes and methods for that window using Python or its extensions?  (Since the window is not a Python generated window,  __dict__ doesn't work, or I am incorrectly using it:  w = CreateWindowFromHandle(hwnd); print w.__dict__).  Also, if I know that a particular method is supported by the window's class (e.g., GetText), can I use the window's handle to access the method (i.e., text =  hwnd.GetText) ?  Or, what is the correct syntax?

Thanks for your help.

Mike