[Tutor] need help; save web data

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:54:06 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
> Note that this may be a violation of the Google Scholar terms of
> service; I know it is a violation to automatically collect normal
> Google search results, and IIRC Google takes some steps to make it
> difficult as well.

Specifically, you *can't* use urllib/urllib2 on it's own. If you have
some type of google coder id, you're allowed to use that with your
post. Otherwise it will just send you back to the google homepage. I
know, cause I tried before I knew it was a no no :P

Although if you're *that* serious, and don't care about fallout, you
can use a proxy so it doesn't read that the request is coming from
urllib via a python script.

-Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being
called gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: