[Tutor] Const on Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 8 00:30:43 CET 2008

"Ricardo Aráoz" <ricaraoz at gmail.com> wrote

> That would be true if you assume that your business practices are
> established and should remain unchanged. But the essence of business
> is
> change, if developers all know Java/C++ you could gradually retrain
> them
> to learn Python.

Thats true and if it weren'#t we'd still all be programming in octal
codes.

But in kost businesses I've seen that kind of change is instigated by
starting a completely new project using the chosen language (usually
chosen after several small trials and evaluations) rather than by
introducing a new language into an existing system which was
the original scenario.

> Python people for maintenance, and you might keep a core of your
> more
> experienced Java/C++ programmers available for optimizations in
> which
> you would need to interface Python with C++ functions. Now that
> would
> make business sense

Absolutely. I totally agree that moving an organization to Python
or similar modern language is a sensible move for many applications.
Only where very high performance or scaleability are required would
Python (or similar) be inappropriate and even in the largest
organisations that is a minority case. And of course web services
provide a glue that any language can utilise to remove most
issues of integration between apps in different languages
(which used to be a very valid concern).

My only dispute is the wisdom of introducing foreign code
into an existing app. Andreas has already said in fact the
new languages are already supported so that makes the
scenario valid also.

Alan G