[Tutor] Const on Python

Ricardo Aráoz ricaraoz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 04:48:07 CET 2008

Alan Gauld wrote:

> Absolutely. I totally agree that moving an organization to Python
> or similar modern language is a sensible move for many applications.
> Only where very high performance or scaleability are required would
> Python (or similar) be inappropriate and even in the largest
> organisations that is a minority case. And of course web services
> provide a glue that any language can utilise to remove most
> issues of integration between apps in different languages
> (which used to be a very valid concern).
>
> My only dispute is the wisdom of introducing foreign code
> into an existing app. Andreas has already said in fact the
> new languages are already supported so that makes the
> scenario valid also.

Well, I guess it's about what you think a programmer is. I think if you
are a "true" programmer you'll be good in ANY language (though you may
have your preferences) and you'll be able to do 80% of your work in any
language (and learn 80% of any language in a short time). So there would
not really be such a problem with "foreign code", the only issues I
foresee are establishing proper "coding rules" for the company, that
might take some time and produce some flaky code. As for integration
between apps, if the languages are python and C/C++ it seems not to be a
problem (never done it), there is :
http://www.python.org/doc/ext/intro.html

Ricardo