[Tutor] Const on Python

Ricardo Aráoz ricaraoz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:51:43 CET 2008

Jeff Younker wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2008, at 7:48 PM, Ricardo Aráoz wrote:
>
>> Alan Gauld wrote:
>> Well, I guess it's about what you think a programmer is. I think if
>> you
>> are a "true" programmer you'll be good in ANY language (though you may
>> have your preferences) and you'll be able to do 80% of your work in
>> any
>> language (and learn 80% of any language in a short time). So there
>> would
>> not really be such a problem with "foreign code", the only issues I
>> foresee are establishing proper "coding rules" for the company, that
>> might take some time and produce some flaky code. As for integration
>> between apps, if the languages are python and C/C++ it seems not to
>> be a
>> problem (never done it), there is :
>> http://www.python.org/doc/ext/intro.html
>
> It's easy to learn the basic features of a language and to use those,
> but
> developing fluency is much harder, and it takes a much longer time.

Absolutely true, but we are talking about a knowledgeable programmer
coding the app and a newbie to the language (not to coding) has to do
some maintenance. The fluency is already coded and can be aped (if what
you have to do is maintenance and not a complete rebuild), and if a few
un-elegant lines are added, you can live with it.