[Tutor] self-learning Python

Emad Nawfal emadnawfal at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:28:48 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Julia <midnightjulia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Message: 3
> > Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:39:16 -0500
> > From: Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>
> > Subject: Re: [Tutor] self-learning Python
> > To: "Enrique Nieves, Jr." <spanfax at charter.net>
> > Cc: tutor at python.org
> >
> > Enrique Nieves, Jr. wrote:
> > > I?m not a programmer, but would like to learn to program.  I?m
> > > considering self-learning python on my spare time.  Can you recommend
> > > the best books, online training, or other resources?  I know nothing
> > > about programming.
> >
> > There are several good on-line tutorials for beginners:
> > http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers
> >
> > I think the best book for the absolute beginner is "Python Programming
> > for the absolute beginner" by Michael Dawson.
> >
> > You can ask questions here when you get stuck.
> >
> > Kent
>

> To be honest I truly dislike the Dawson book. I wouldn't recommend it to
> anyone. It's lacks technical clarity, examples and has a messy index. I'm
> going to sell my example asap.
>
> I currently use multiple books for reference and because I haven't found
> one really good book yet. In the end I'd say python.org is the best
> resource for learning Python :)
> /J

When I started learning Python, I had had no programming background
whatsoever. It was Michael Dawson's book that got me off the ground. I then
read another book "Python programming: an introduction to computer science",
and things began to make sense to me. Non-programmers have a hard time
grasping things programmers take for granted. That's why Dawson's book may
not be good for experienced people. I definitely recommend it to true
beginners.

لا أعرف مظلوما تواطأ الناس علي هضمه ولا زهدوا في إنصافه كالحقيقة.....محمد
الغزالي
"No victim has ever been more repressed and alienated than the truth"

Emad Soliman Nawfal
Indiana University, Bloomington
http://emnawfal.googlepages.com