[Tutor] Hard time understanding classes

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 13 00:52:43 CET 2008

"Norm All" <python.mail1 at gmail.com> wrote

> I am learning python and so far have done pretty well, until I got
> to the
> subject of classes which I have been struggling to understand for a
> while.

First, you are not alone.
Some people find the idea of objects easy to grasp but the majority
of programmers struggle because it is a different way of thinking
about programs and problems. Once you "get it" you will wonder
what all the fuss was about :-)

Second, while classes are very useful for some things you don't
*need* to use classes to program even quite complex programs.

So don't panic.

> have not found any easy to understand tutorial on the web or looking
> in some
> books for a clear step by step example. Would  appreciate any help
> or links
> to read.

It might help if we know what you have read so far and if you can give
some specific things that you find hard to grasp. That gives us a
direction to head down.

Obligatory plug, you can try the OOP topic in my tutor if you
haven't already...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld