[Tutor] Interactive plots...

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Fri Mar 28 00:07:02 CET 2008

On 28/03/2008, David Perlman <dperlman at wisc.edu> wrote:
> I am thinking about writing a program which will involve, among other
>  things, displaying a plot of a series of numbers.  The idea is that
>  you could click on the points and move them to change the numbers.
>  Reverse-plotting, I suppose.  It need not be complex; the numbers
>  will all be zero or one, and it's only necessary to flip the bits, so
>  click-and-drag is seriously overkill.  Really it would be better to
>  just double-click on a point to switch it from one value to the other.
>
>  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I have written some
>  programs in python before, including TKinter, but this new project is
>  beyond the point that I know where to even start looking.  :)

You could probably do it with Tkinter -- use a Canvas widget to draw
your points.  Each point could just be an oval, and you can bind
events to canvas items in a similar fashion to binding to buttons.  So
you would bind on click (or double-click) an event to move the point
and recalculate.

If you want to drag points around, it's possible too, the bindings
just become a bit more complex. I think there are recipes or examples
around on the net that you can probably find.

--
John.