[Tutor] put? and files

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri May 2 10:18:38 CEST 2008

"Ross Glover" <ross at ross.mayfirst.org> wrote

> That said, it would seem that I do need to understand files better.
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a solid and detailed explanation?
> Either online or a book?

Reading the Python tutorial section might be enough.
If you understand the books you mention you should
find the official tutorial easy enough. Or try my tutorial
topic first for the basics.

> I've been working through the book Beginning Python, and I also went
> through AByteOfPython.  Slowly it's beginning to make sense, but I
> would very much like to know what my next best step should be given
> the above mentioned goal.  Text processing still eludes my
> understanding.

For text processing try the online version of David Mertz' book
"Text Processing in Python" - try a Google search, I think its at
gnossis.com or somesuch. The only caveat is that he is a fan of
functional programming which can seem a tad strange if you
aren't used to it.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld