[Tutor] python -v command

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri May 2 18:16:57 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Stephanie <pythoninfo at dodgycauldron.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm at a very beginning level of Python knowledge, but I use several Python
> programs via the Macintosh Unix Terminal.  I was trying to quickly see which
> version of Python I am running and typed in the command "python -v".  That
> was obviously not the correct command to use.  It installed several things
> and now I'm unable to run my Python programs.
>
> Can someone tell me if there there is a way to undo the python -v command?

You have started python in verbose mode. It didn't actually install
anything, it is showing you all the modules that are loaded when
python starts up.

At the end, notice that the prompt is >>>. That is the python
interpreter prompt. Type control-D to exit the interpreter and get
back to the shell prompt.

Near the end, notice that it did also print the version - Python
always does that when it runs interactively. You can also use the
command
  python --version
to print the version number and exit.

Kent