[Tutor] Pythoncom Tutorial

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue May 20 11:42:01 CEST 2008

"FT" <chester_lab at fltg.net> wrote

>    A book is nice if you can see to read it. Still searching for the
> best
> way to go on this. It was suggested to go to the API of windowes or
> ctypes.
> I confress that I have not used ctypes when just hoping to find a
> python
> format to get such things as the focus information when jumping from
> window

ctypes is a Python solution to accessing the windows API.
It avoids COM which is an extra layer of complexity.

You can also use the pythonwin package without COM and access
the API that way but there is little to choose between pythonwin and
ctypes inthat case and ctypes seems to be a bit more powerful with
the low level APIs. At least that's my impression.

I doubt if you will find a high level Python solution to very platform
specific things like grabbing focus, screen scraping etc You will need
to get your hands dirty and use the Win32 API functions I think.

Alan G