[Tutor] get/set attributes

Eric Abrahamsen eric at ericabrahamsen.net
Sun May 25 18:52:24 CEST 2008

> This creates an attribute named k; it does not create an attribute
> whose name is the *value* of k. For that you need setattr:
>  setattr(self, k, v)
>
> There is a shortcut that replaces the entire loop:
>  self.__dict__.update(atts)

Thanks Kent, that explains a lot about how things work.

>> return an empty string for any attribute. I'm making a very simple
>> CMS  with Cherrypy/Sqlalchemy/Cheetah,
>
> Those are the components of TurboGears.
> You might save a lot of bother by using TG instead of trying to
> write all the glue code yourself. Form handling for one would
> come for free, as would logins, help pages etc etc.
>
> OTOH maybe you are doing this as a learning exercise in
> which case have at it! :-)

I am doing this as a learning exercise, though I hadn't realized those
are precisely TG's components. I'm actually coming at this from
Django, and wanted to approach things at a lower level (every time a
friend asks me to make a website for them I use it as an excuse to
learn some new framework components). I wasn't really missing Django
until I got to the 'CMS backend' stage of things – forms for models,
validation, etc. I'll stick through the learning exercise, but it will
be *very* nice to return to a full framework package...

Eric