[Tutor] I am a web designer wanting to learn Python

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:04:33 CEST 2008

> > Where should I begin/go to learn how to create web apps using Python?  I
> would like to create a dynamic "content managed" website and I have  chosen
> Python as my language of choice. Can anybody show me, a Mac  user, where I,
> a programming beginner, can find tutorials for using  Python for web apps?

hi, and welcome to Python!

out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the conclusion that you should
use Python?

>  If you expect to write several apps you should choose a Web Framework.
>  The two most poular are TurboGears and Django. Both have websites,
>  search Google...

you *could*, or we can just say http://djangoproject.com and
http://turbogears.org

if you are new to Python, i would suggest Django over TurboGears, not
that Django is "better than" TG, but because those who favor TG are
usually already familiar with Python, esp. the best-of-breed
components of which it serves as the "glue", i.e.
SQLObject/SQLAlchemy, CherryPy, MochiKit, Genshi/Kid. Django is an
"all-in-one" package and requires "less overhead" if you're new to
Python.

on a related note, if you're interested solely in creating, running,
managing, developing, and/or supporting a "content managed" site, i.e.
run by a "content management system" (or CMS), you may also wish to
look at Plone -- http://plone.org ... this is its speciality.

all 3 of these frameworks have documentation as well as video clips on
"how easy it is to use them" on their websites.

if you're looking for reading, we can also recommend some books for
you, but it will depend on your previous/current programming
experience.

best of luck!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com