[Tutor] Stripping punctuation

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Thu May 29 19:35:19 CEST 2008

Is there a faster way to strip punctuation from a string than this?

from string import ascii_letters

def strip_punctuation(mystring):
    newstring = ''
    for x in mystring:
        if x in ascii_letters:
            newstring += x
        else:
            pass
    return newstring

In my decryption program I realized I need to strip all the
punctuation, and that's the first thing I came up with. I couldn't
find a built-in function in the time it took to roll my own.

TIA,
Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being
called gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: